Story Keeper (Education Manager)
Informal education and literacy manager for Kingsley and Co Literacy Project
About Y Kids
Ykids is a charity with a Christian ethos committed to the empowerment and social development of children and young people with a particular focus on communities in deprived areas of Bootle and South Sefton.
The purpose of this post is to develop the informal education programme of Ykids’ latest project Kingsley and Co.
Kingsley and Co is a Victorian Steam Punk Explorer themed literacy project, bookshop and café based in the Strand shopping centre. The aim of the project is to encourage children and families to engage with books and stories to help improve their literacy skills, thus improving mental health and wellbeing and improving life prospects. We are looking someone with a passion for literature and the skills and ability to pass that enthusiasm on to children and their families.
About the Role
The purpose of this role is to develop a creative and inspiring informal education programme
promoting both emotional and academic literacy through story, drama, art, history, written and spoken word.
The role also requires the oversight of interns/ volunteers and delivery of fresh and engaging projects with children and young people.
JOB TITLE: Story Keeper (Education Manager)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Project Manager
HOURS OF POST: 35 hours per week, some degree of flexibility on work hours required including some Saturdays
PURPOSE OF JOB:
- To develop an engaging and relevant programme of activities to promote literacy, through story, drama, poetry, craft, writing, film, cartoon, creative activities and events.
- To deliver creative outreach activities, workshops and events for children, young people andf amilies, building a literary community and encouraging children’s voice.
- To engage with schools, local business, community groups and authors to promote partnershipworking
- To develop a programme of exciting activities and regular events to engage children and young people in story through a variety of creative mediums.
- To actively seek out and engage with explorers, authors, artists, historians and individuals who will inspire young people and engage with the project.
- To promote and support wellbeing amongst children and young people
- To develop a family offer e.g.; a programme for early years children including story time, story sacks, parent workshops after school reading together, Saturday story workshops.
- To organise and manage Bootle Children’s Literary Festival and other large-scale projects
- To work with local schools to build links, deliver a variety of activities to engage children, and tobuild relationships with children, teachers, learning mentors and parents.
- To engage schools in town wide events to promote wellbeing, self-esteem,
- and aspiration in children and the wider community, e.g.: Bootle Children’s Literary Festival, Drama festival etc.
- To promote the use of Kingsley and Co as a resource for schools, educators, local business
- To support volunteers i.e.: work placements/ gap year workers/ apprentices/interns who express a desire to work within Kingsley and Co.
- To network with the local community, churches, schools, youth/children’s work provision, businesses, libraries, museums and statutory services to develop working relationships.
- To support the development and delivery of other projects within Ykids
- To attend relevant meetings e.g.: school networks, education and arts partnerships
- To support in the general running of Kingsley & Co
- To provide detailed plans for programmes and supervise their delivery
- To deliver workshops both in schools and in the Kingsley & Co classroom
- To assist in managing the budgets
- To ensure all relevant policies are adhered to
- • To develop Kingsley & Co external relationships
- • To contribute to marketing and social media and publicity campaigns
- To report to the CEO/ line manager on a regular basis
- Monitor and record impact of projects delivered
- Attend regular supervision
- Attend training as identified.
- Comply with Ykids Safeguarding vulnerable adults and children policy and all other Ykids policies and procedures.
- And any other duties that commensurate with the post as directed by the post manager/CEO
To apply, please send a completed Application Form (attached below) to email@example.com.