Head of Music and Worship Ministries
To lead and encourage the congregations and our other groups to worship God and encourage each other by the use of music, played to a professional standard.
- Oversee the worship on Sundays and any other ‘all church’ midweek meetings, paying particular attention to the words to be sung.
- Lead the worship regularly at services and events and ensure that there is always a leader assigned to every service.
- Within the staff team, to take responsibility for our worship together.
- Oversee and collaborate with any other members of staff or volunteers to produce a healthy range of contemporary and more traditional music on Sunday mornings and other relevant occasions, which may include writing parts for individual instruments e.g. cello, violin, clarinet.
- Continue to develop the contemporary feel of the evening service, The Gathering.
- Discover and arrange suitable new music for us to use, with an active encouragement in composing and/or recording new material.
- Recruit, train, develop and deploy musicians and worship leaders from within the congregations.
- Construct the rotas for music team. Our platform is Planning Center.
- Ensure our CCLI Licence is completed each year.
- Host team meetings for the musicians to encourage a shared vision and develop their gifts.
- Participate in service planning meetings, draw up agreed service orders and communicate the outcomes to worship leader assigned to service.
- Oversee the care and maintenance of musical equipment in the church and centres, including stage and sound set-up for Sundays.
- Work with the children’s department and other musicians to oversee provision for Promiseland (5-11s) and its subgroups.
- Work with the youth department and other musicians to oversee provision for their groups, and develop the Youth Band. This includes supporting weekends away and training events.
- Under the Children’s Minister, work with the church school, to support the weekly assemblies, and the occasional services they hold at St James.
- Management of any music and production staff and volunteers. We are currently recruiting a part time Production Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the line manager.
This description assumes the post holder is a mature evangelical Christian with replicable habits of maturity and is subject to a Genuine Occupational Requirement to that effect. See the Church of England Evangelical Council’s Basis of Faith: www.ceec.info/basis-of-faith.html
The successful candidate will have experience as a worship leader, ideally in a larger church, with an ability to lead from several instruments, preferably including guitar and piano/keyboards, to a high standard in a solo and band setting, and to sing. S/he will have a wide appreciation for musical styles in worship, including contemporary and more traditional.