Assistant Pastor - Youth & Students
Job Role: Assistant Pastor - Youth & Students
Salary: £25,000 - £30,000 Pro Rata
Working Hours: Part Time (21 Hours)
Ask a child to draw you a picture of a church and, inevitably, they will draw a building. But the origin of the word “church” in the Bible is the Greek word “Ekklesia”, which referred to the citizens of ancient Athens, who gathered to work together for the well-being of their city.
Severn Vineyard is a bit like that. It is a gathering of people from all walks of life, who live and work in the Bristol area, who love and are inspired by Jesus Christ to live life to the full and bring life to their communities.
The church was started in October 2009 and has grown to around 250 people. If that is something that intrigues or inspires you, you might like to get involved - and you would be so welcome!
About the Role
Assistant Pastor Responsibilities and Duties:
- To develop and implement strategic plans for both our Youth (11-18 years old) and Students (termly programme & annual events) which inspire and sustains them in progressive discipleship to Jesus. This plan would reflect the vision, values, purpose and priorities of Severn Vineyard and be developed in collaboration with the wider staff team
- To identify, recruit, train, deploy, monitor and nurture youth team leaders and student team leaders, who will facilitate events, programmes and processes that contribute to discipleship amongst the youth and students connected to Severn Vineyard
- To connect the Youth and Students to the wider Vineyard movement, in particular facilitating their involvement in ‘Dreaming the Impossible’, both annual and termly events and “The Cause To Live For” for Students
- To manage budget lines for both youth and student programmes, process and events, & missional opportunities; and be responsible for controlling expenditure to stay within budget
- To engage with and build relationship with Youth Leaders across Bristol and in the wider Vineyard movement, to give and receive support and ideas
- To build great rapport with the parents of the Youth and look for opportunities to support them in their parenting, through facilitating gatherings and parenting events
- To work alongside the Children and Families’ Pastor ensuring smooth transition from Vineyard Kids to Youth and to take opportunities to work together where appropriate e.g. Youth being invested in as Young Leaders
- To develop specific methods for wider youth engagement in the city; connecting with a range of youth agencies across the city
- Work with the safeguarding Coordinator to respond to any safeguarding concerns appropriately and in line with Severn’s Safeguarding Policy. To ensure that all team members are recruited according to our safer recruitment process and all youth work undertaken in line with the Safeguarding Policy
- To effectively facilitate the integration of students into Severn, enabling them to grow, receive and contribute to the life of Severn and be connected relationally to the wider church
- To develop specific methods for university campus engagement, connecting with a range of campus agencies
- Commitment to developing in their connection with and love for Jesus
- Proven leadership ability and a heart for people to fulfil their potential
- A passion for Youth and Students
- Humble attitude towards oneself and others
- Pragmatic and capable of accountable self-direction.
- Openness to new ideas and ways of thinking and excellent communication skills to assist others to develop their own thinking
- A team player able to encourage and promote the ideas of others as well as own and who is helpfully enthusiastic and capable of creating energy and momentum
- Manner and judgment which inspires confidence
- Can-do attitude, but with the confidence to ask questions of other’s judgment
- Appreciation of and/or possession of artistic/creative skills, in order to foster a creative and imaginative ethos within Severn Vineyard.
How to apply for the job
To apply please submit an updated CV and covering letter to email@example.com. In no more than 1000 words, the covering letter should include:
- Why you wish to apply for the role
- Experiences, skills and qualifications you have that relate to the role
- Contact details for 2 references - we will only contact these with your permission if you are invited for interview
- Any other relevant information
Bristol, City of