This is a one year fixed-term contract in the first instance, with the hope of becoming permanent in the coming years. There will be a 3-month probationary period. You will be line managed by the Operations Manager. The salary is £6,000 per annum.
Staff are also enrolled onto an employee assistance and recognition package, including access to telephone counselling and helplines; independent legal advice; online health assessments; personal coaching tools, and much more.
Hours of Work
Part time, 10 hours / 2 days per week
- Days and hours worked to be agreed with Operations Manager. (The post holder would be expected to attend the Tuesday AM whole staff meeting, which incudes a time of prayer and worship).
- The role holder will be expected to work other key dates as required (agreed in advance with line manager).
- It is hoped that staff members will be active members of Saint Wilfrid, therefore the post holder will have to be sympathetic to the Christian faith and will need to agree with the ethos statement of the organisation.
- Responsible for ensuring that the church has good financial record keeping, financial processing forms and cash handling procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring financial, confidential information is stored safely, securely and timely.
- Weekly processing and cash count for all donations and other income.
- Weekly banking of donations and other income, including maintaining detailed record keeping.
- Processing and monitoring one off donations and regular standing orders.
- Weekly monitoring, recording and balancing all Petty Cash handling.
- Weekly processing of all outgoing bank payments and reimbursements.
- Providing monthly progress reports and analyses to the Treasurer and Senior Leadership Team.
- Complete weekly bank reconciliation.
- Maintenance of the church’s nominal account code list.
- Administering the Gift Aid scheme ensuring declarations are made properly and records kept.
- Sensitively following up those who default on their pledges.
- Ensuring that people are thanked for their contributions regularly, including an annual financial giving statement.
- Helping people to give one-off gifts.
- Keeping up to date with changes in Gift Aid regulations etc.
- Work with payroll service to administrate monthly pay.
- Other administrative tasks may be required of the postholder, to help support the overall work of the church.
- Preparation of end of year report and other relevant reports.
- Hall bookings and invoices.
- Accounting Qualification
- Sound understanding of accountant processes and procedures.
- Experience of working in charity finance with restricted funds.
- Relevant University Degree
- Relevant professional experience (e.g., bookkeeper)
- Experience of working with QuickBooks Online.
- Experience of Church of England/Charity financial policies and procedures.
- Proactive approach and commitment to see projects through to completion.
- Excellent relationship skills across all people groups
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and issues calmly and effectively.
- A team player, with the ability to encourage and work collaboratively with other volunteers and staff.
- Ability to adapt to different work pressures and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organisational skills, with attention to detail and the ability to plan.
- Be able to maintain absolute confidentiality regarding payroll and donations.
Saint Wilfrid Church is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk. All post holders and voluntary workers within the church must share this commitment.
Right to Work. Any offer of employment will be subject to the applicant providing necessary documentation to prove their right to work within the UK.
Any offer of employment is subject to an Enhanced DBS and other appropriate checks as required.
Skills and Abilities
Good level of competence in Excel, Word, Outlook and accounting software (we use Quickbooks)
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Good organisational skills used in planning own work and ability to work to targets and deadlines.
- Good analytical ability
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and listening skills and the ability to support other members of the staff team.
To apply please visit: Finance Admin — Saint Wilfrid