Riverside is a large & vibrant church made up of people from a diversity of ages, backgrounds and experiences. We have one thing in common - our discovery of God’s amazing love for us. We have a tradition as an independent charismatic evangelical church, and simply want to help people become followers of Jesus and grow as his followers.
The Events Manager post has been formed following retirement, at an exciting time as the church adapts to new realities post-lockdown. The responsibilities include arranging events, managing a team of volunteers, handling legal, safety and other compliance, providing equipment for PA, visual and web presence, catering and other needs, wherever required for regular or one-off gatherings (including Sundays).
ABOUT THE ROLE
Riverside holds a variety of gatherings, large and small, regular and one-off, during a year. Recently, a number of these have gained an online element; many of them include the use of AV equipment and other props. The most regular of these gatherings are our Sunday gatherings, but we also have other events. Often there is a need to provide refreshments. Always we require suitable personal facilities.
The post holder will be responsible for providing the resources to hold the gatherings, having them in place and set up, working with others to ensure smooth running of the practical side of events and responding to the inevitable unexpected incidents. While not every event can be attended, a responsible presence must be maintained at each one.
The role involves close cooperation with other team members responsible for meeting leadership, communications, financial oversight, and other operational matters.
The role holder therefore has to carry out their role in a way that reflects the spirit and ethos of Riverside Church and is expected to be an active member of the Riverside worshipping congregation. As a member of the Staff Team you will attend staff meetings, training and planning sessions and participate in prayer times for staff and church.
- A vibrant personal and mature Christian faith
- Organised and practical, able to plan ahead and keep numerous detailed matters covered
- Technical experience in one or more of AV, IT, PA, electrical and other systems, repairs and maintenance
- Flexible and able to respond quickly to the unexpected
- Ability to work as part of team and able to demonstrate that they can be relied upon to deliver their own work to deadlines and to high quality
- Ability to build teams, work with volunteers, delegate key tasks and processes, and train volunteers where required
- Previous experience working for a Christian Organisation
- Oversee the successful delivery of church events, including Sunday gatherings, using an event checklist in conjunction with a nominated person having overall responsibility for each event.
- Ensure appropriate provisions are made in:
- communicating within/without the church;
- team size, roles and support required;
- booking of rooms and equipment;
- health & safety considerations;
- equipment and logistics arrangements;
- event attendance management;
- broadcast of content and materials through digital channels and ticket sign-up;
- costs for the event being borne by the area of ministry running the event
- Support the Leadership Team in planning ahead and being responsible for ensuring the successful delivery of:
- Assimilation Events (e.g. Alpha Meals, Welcome Events, Belonging Events, Baptisms)
- Wider Leadership Events (e.g. Group Leaders events, Leaders forums etc)
- Church Wide Events (e.g. monthly Prayer Gatherings, Joint Gatherings etc)
- Staff Events (e.g. Christmas, Summer meal)
- Leadership Team meetings.
- Liaise with venue owners, assessing room layouts, line of sight, risk assessments, compliance, access, internet connectivity, bookings & communicate with those on team to deliver the event.
- Make sure we have the equipment and supplies needed for each event, in place and ready to use. This includes procuring, maintaining and potentially training users regarding:
- Audio-visual equipment
- IT and web-based systems
- Catering provision
- Hygiene and personal safety
- Digital assets
- Develop capacity and competency across lay members of the church and community, with job descriptions and training.
- Prepare budget requests in partnership with other team members and the leadership team. Manage resources in line with current budgets, buying or hiring within financial authority and giving early warning of issues that may arise.
- Maintain a schedule of events and requirements in collaboration with the Communications Officer, to keep the team informed and coordinate with wider plans for the church.
- Routinely review events compared to pre-event plans to direct future improvement and to equipping of lay team members.
- The role will be based at the Church Office as part of the Operations team
- Supervision with a line manager will be provided and the post reviewed annually
- This post will be lined managed by one of the leadership team or Operations Manager
- The post is also accountable to the Trustees
- Support will be provided for personal and spiritual development such as mentoring and continued professional development
- This is a Part-time* role: 22.5hrs equivalent to 3 days per week (flexible hours to match events - many of these are Sundays - and where peak demand falls)
- Salary – £14,820 p.a. based on 22.5hrs per week (FTE £24,700) plus 5% employers pension contribution
- Associated expenses to be paid
- Holiday entitlement: 5 working weeks plus statutory public holidays
- There will be a 6-month probationary period. Every 12 months the role will be reviewed as part of a staff development process. Riverside will require the post-holder to undertake appropriate training from time to time and will fund it accordingly
*N.B - there may be other P/T roles that can be combined to make this a F/T post, including the role of an Operations Manager as an option. Please enquire if this is of interest.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply using the application form below, by 27 August 2021. Please send the completed application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org