Job Title: Management Accountant
Location: HQ, Lancaster House, Sharston, Greater Manchester.
Hours: Full Time, 35 hours pw.
Contract: Permanent, providing 3-month probation review passed.
Salary: £28,844 to £33,673 (Dependent on experience)
Start Date: ASAP
To provide financial management, support and reporting to The Message Trust’s Hubs, Missional and other departments across the UK. The role will work as part of the wider Finance team but will also form a key part of the Management Accounts team in the preparation and reporting of monthly management accounts
Further details about working for The Message can be found here -Working for The Message
Please note that applications will be reviewed as they come in, the vacancy may be closed before the specified date.
Responsible to: Head of Finance
Primary internal working relationships: Finance Team, Central Support Team and Mission departments
Primary external working relationships: Suppliers, Natwest, HMRC, third party contractors
Main duties and responsibilities:
Monitoring and Performance
- To assist in the review of Message Trust’s policies and financial controls to ensure that they reflect best practice and comply with the relevant Accounting Standard.
- To review accounting systems and issue financial procedures to ensure that the Charity’s financial business is processed in a secure and efficient manner.
- To ensure that management information and performance monitoring techniques are effective and consistent.
- To assist in the production of timely financial and statistical reports.
- To assist in the co-ordination of the budget process and production of monthly and annual budgets and forecasts for each department of the organisation.
- To maintain bank accounts, mandates and group pooling arrangements, including reconciliation with the accounting system and liaison with the bank.
- To maintain adequate records to ensure that regular monitoring takes place of all accounts and reserves
- To reconcile funds in Sage to the charity’s reserves and produce monthly cash transfers as required.
- To assist with producing the Charity’s monthly cashflow forecasts.
Financial Management and Control
- To help ensure systems are established and maintained in order to provide appropriate levels of security and controls over resources and assets.
- To operate the NatWest applications regarding electronic enquiry and payments system and assist with direct debit/standing order accounting procedures.
- To assist in the maintenance of the Fixed Asset, Property, and Investments Registers.
- To assist in the planning and management of the charity’s tax liabilities under existing and planned legislation.
- To assist in the production of VAT returns and the development of improved VAT accounting procedures with a view to maximise input tax recovery – including the partial exemption and annual adjustment calculations.
- To provide technical support to project staff in formulating and implementing project accounting systems, including grant accounting.
- The processing of monthly management procedures in connection with the Management Accounts checklist to ensure that all tasks are completed to given deadlines
- To calculate and post entries for depreciation, accruals, accrued/deferred income & prepayments.
- To maintain the Control accounts reconciliations and general month end duties.
- Production of the Monthly Management reports and accounts (including balance sheet and profit & loss)
- Provide detailed analysis of cost centre costs and income and explain variances between actual and budget figures of each cost centre.
- Statistics, figures, and other financial reports as required for management
Annual Reports Preparation
- To assist in the production of the Charity’s Annual Financial Statements and Trustees Report.
- To keep abreast of the latest statutory and regulatory updates in relation to the Financial Accounting relevant to the Charity (i.e., FRS102 and Charity SORP updates)
- Maintain records appropriate to the requirements of the external auditors.
- To always communicate clearly (in writing and verbally) and especially in the explanation of complex financial information to non-finance audiences within TMT.
- To carry out any additional duties as may be reasonably required by the Head of Finance.
- Support the TMT Group Finance Team in additional duties within the scope of the Finance Team.
The post-holder will be expected to:
- To keep abreast of developments by appropriate reading, attending seminars and training courses.
- Enter fully into The Message Trust team life, including morning prayers, monthly prayer days and evening prayer meetings.
Any information relating to people contacted by the Trust acquired in the course of duty must be treated in strictest confidence and must be discussed only within the confines of the work setting with the appropriate members of staff.
Any information relating to staff acquired in the course of duty must be treated in the strictest confidence and must be discussed only with senior staff members or with the line manager.
Note - This job description is not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future organisational changes.
Fully Qualified Accountant with a relevant Accountancy Body:
ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, ICAS or equivalent.
- Working in a finance / accounts environment
- Using an accounting software package.
- Competent with double-entry accounting.
- Bank and Balance Sheet reconciliations
- Experience of preparing and managing Budgets.
- Production of management accounts or similar monthly financial reporting.
- Experience of working in a fast-moving environment.
- Experience in the non-profit industry
- Experience using Sage Accounting software, Sage 200 or similar.
- Preparing VAT returns.
- Understanding of Fund Accounting and the different ‘types’ of funds used by Charities.
- Good ICT skills and knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- General proficiency in all Microsoft Office/365 programs.
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Well organised with a strong eye for detail
- Good e-mail and telephone manner
- A sound grasp of written English
- Ability to work both alone and as part of a team
- Eager to learn new skills, in particular IT skills
- Must have current Right to Work status in the UK
- Understanding / Experience of other Charity specific finance issues:
- Gift Aid
- VAT Partial Exemption and annual adjustments.
- Various Charity specific tax reliefs
- Primary/Secondary Trading (CT tax)
- Trading subsidiaries
- Ability to use Microsoft Teams.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- A committed Christian who recognises Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
- Team player who works well with others, respects, and supports leadership. Trustworthy and Reliable
- Good adaptability and flexibility in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure.
- Commitment to uphold the principles of equal opportunities in accordance with TMT’s Equality & Diversity Policy and all related policies.
- Commitment to uphold and abide by TMT’s Health & Safety principles and code of conduct.
- Commitment to seek financial and prayerful contributions to the ministry. All staff are expected to raise regular financial support for the ministry, aiming to raise at least £75 per month before starting rising to £125 after 3 months.
- Applicants should be able to articulate a clear vision for their role within the work of The Message, particularly with reference to their ability to function within the framework of its Mission, Vision, Ethos and Values.
(Full copies of our Mission & Vision statement and our Ethos & Values statement are available on request or can be viewed online at www.message.org.uk)
Apply Here The Message | UK Christian Charity