Job Title: Communications Officer
Location: Message Trust Head Office, Sharston, Manchester
Hours: Full time (35 hours per week)
Salary: £21 to £23k
Start date: September 2020
Responsible to: Communications Manager
Responsible for: Digital, online and print communications
Main Purpose of the Job
The Message Trust is looking for a high-capacity and enthusiastic communications specialist who is passionate about engaging others in our mission to share the gospel with young people across the UK and beyond to join our multi-disciplinary Creative team.
Our new Communications Officer will be responsible for helping to further develop our communications with supporters, partners and different audiences online, in print and in film.
What Does the Job Involve?
We are a story-driven movement and are looking for someone who is proficient at telling other people’s stories across different channels and platforms, helping our various teams and departments tell theirs too. You will write and curate content for Message websites and social media channels, recognising the advantages of each medium and tailoring content to fit.
To help with this you’ll need to be proactively seeking out opportunities to drive our communications forward, and also need to have a keen eye for detail as you help us plan and deliver our communications.
Specific duties and responsibilities
- Production and publication of engaging digital content and campaigns for social media and online channels.
- Writing compelling stories from across The Message movement. This will include working closely with our regional and mission teams to ensure we are able to share up-to-date, relevant stories.
- Assisting in the planning and implementation of effective integrated communications campaigns.
- Ensuring all Message website and social media channels are kept up to date with fresh, engaging content gathered from across the organisation.
- Playing a key part in planning content and writing for Flow magazine (two times per year).
- Co-ordinating the compilation of our supporter prayer calendars (six per year; regional editions).
- Producing regular supporter facing email communication (weekly news and prayer emails) and help to continue developing these as our work grows.
- Assisting the production of video-based communication pieces.
- Encouraging and collaborating with other writers and content generators in other HQ departments and in each of our hub offices.
- Keeping up to date with the job list and report weekly to the Communications Manager.
- Have a ‘can do’ attitude in the tightest of deadlines and showing initiative to deliver solutions above expectations.
- Any other related duties may from time to time be necessary, at the discretion of the Communications Manager.
- Enter fully into The Message Trust team life, including morning prayers, monthly prayer days, evening prayer meetings and events.
- Must be prepared, on occasions, to work away from Manchester and work weekends.
- Proven communicator with first class writing skills and the ability to adapt material dependent on the audience and established tone of voice.
- Experience writing and curating content and stories for a range of internal and external audiences.
- Experience in producing engaging online communications and implementing campaigns that raise awareness and organisational profile.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and the specific communications requirements for each of these.
- A relevant degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience using website content management systems.
- Able to follow direction thoroughly whilst also showing initiative.
- Aptitude to work quickly, efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Familiar with the communications practices of other Christian charities and within the charitable, non-profit sector.
- A natural curiosity and desire to stay on top of the latest digital and communications trends and strategies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
- Applicants should be able to articulate a clear vision for their role within the work of The Message, particularly with reference to their ability to function within the framework of its Mission, Vision, Ethos and Values.
- Communications or marketing degree.
- Strong knowledge of SEO and how to develop this across organisations and brands.
- Ability to produce graphics and edit video content for use on social media and online channels.
Full copies of our Mission & Vision statement and our Ethos & Values statement are available
on request or can be viewed online at www.message.org.uk
All Message staff are set a personal fundraising target. We ask that the successful applicant has a minimum of £75 per month of regular financial support before commencing employment, increasing to £125 per month by the end of the three-month probation period and aims to add one supporter a month after that. Training and support will be given to help you achieve this.
Staff are also expected to organise and take part in, at least one fundraising or other sponsored event annually.
This job description is not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future organisational changes.
The successful candidate for this post will be asked to apply for a DBS check at Enhanced level and the content of that check could affect ability of the Message to extend the offer of employment.
Genuine Occupational Requirement (GOR): This post has been identified as having a GOR to be filled by a Christian under the provisions of the Employment Equality (Religion and Belief) Regulations 2003 Section 7.2.