Eden Team Leader, Plaistow, London
JOB DESCRIPTION / PERSON SPECIFICATION
Eden Team Leader: Plaistow
Hours: 40 a week Salary: 26,000-30,000
Based: Locally with some city-wide working. Occasional long-distance travel.
Responsible to: Accountable to the local Church leader
Coaching relationship to Eden Network, Message London Hub.
Responsible for: Team members (employed, voluntary and trainees)
Primary external working relationships: Local agencies and schools
Summary of main purpose of the job:
You will lead, empower, equip and enable an Eden team, in-line with its Christian vision, to engage local young people and families through personal witness, missional lifestyles and programmed activities in order to pursue transformational objectives over the long-term.
You will also be responsible for developing (with support) the Plaistow Kick and Mentoring Academy (PKAM), a football and basketball project for young people aged 8-16 (youngers) and 16+ (Olders).
Please note: Eden Team Leader is a vocational calling which requires a lifestyle choice beyond formal working hours. The nature of the ‘Eden lifestyle’ involves and impacts the whole of the leader’s household. For this reason we would strongly encourage an applicant’s spouse to apply to join as a team member (or in some cases joint team leader) and at a minimum be fully engaged with the vision of the team. We will ask spouses of applicants to be present at interview.
- First interview online
- Area visit to meet with church leader, team and see community.
- Second interview in person (dependent on current regulations)
Role & Responsibilities:
- Attendance and commitment to the general life and work of Plaistow Christian Fellowship
- Be resident in the defined focus area - It is central to the role that the post holder be resident in the local area in order to be available, effectively identify with the local community and build trusting relationships with local neighbours
- Experience first-hand the issues that affect the day to day lives of people who live in the local area by occupying a dwelling typical of those in the area
- Participate in the wider life of the Eden Network and Message Trust at regional and national level according to the published calendar of events
- Build/maintain healthy relationships with other local churches
- Be active in pursuing good relationships with other local agencies and schools with a view to developing partnership responses to the needs of local youth and children & attend key local youth / resident task groups
- Provide visionary leadership, supervision, management, motivation, training and support to the mainly un-paid Eden team (typically 6-12 people, all living in the defined focus area)
- Identify and monitor the needs of children, young people and families in the local area, and responding accordingly by developing mission strategies
- Oversee the practical outworking of the mission strategy through various methods of engagement (e.g. detached work, clubs, trips, events, mentoring, schools work etc.)
- Develop the Plaistow Kick and Mentoring project, to encourage young people into diversionary sporting activities and mentoring, to attract young people away from the lure of gangs.
- In liaison with Eden Network and church leadership, interview potential new team members
- Oversee the induction of new team members including practical aspects such as making introductions, finding housing and work etc.
- Ensure adequate pastoral care is available to team members as required (which may include developing support networks outside the immediate team context)
- Control of day to day admin and finance (including expenditure, record keeping, security and communication and publicity)
- Seek out funding sources towards the project budget including promoting the concept of personal support raising amongst the team
- Produce regular contact time reports using the online tracker
- Host regular team meetings (giving consideration to social, spiritual and practical aspects of team life)
- Oversee short-term trainee / intern placements with the team as necessary
- Ensure practical adherence to Safeguarding (Child Protection) policy and protocol including associated Risk Management procedure
- A committed Christian with a personal testimony of their trust in the Lordship of Jesus Christ, the authority of the Bible and the work of the Holy Spirit.
- A desire to see the Christian message communicated effectively, particularly to young people, and able to articulate a clear vision for their role within the work of Eden and the local church
- Have a proven track record of service in a Christian ministry sphere
- Reflect leadership qualities, be willing to lead by example and be committed to further training
- Know and be able to communicate the vision and values of the Eden Network
- Be in full sympathy with the aims and objectives of Plaistow Christian Fellowships and be willing to enter fully into church life
- Have a proven capacity to be an active and committed member of a team
- Have a good reputation for displaying dependability and loyalty
- Adaptable and flexible with a problem-solving approach
- Able to take constructive criticism & learn from mistakes
- Able to give effective encouragement and constructive feedback
- Patience and endurance
- Able to hold own counsel
- Outgoing disposition
- Respect for authority & leadership
- Absolute discretion with members of the opposite sex
- Operate in an anti-discriminatory way
Be able to show evidence that you have/can:
- Cast a vision; create and implement a strategy to pursue it
- Recruit, lead and develop a team of volunteers and/or interns
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage responsibilities and diary
- Effectively relate and communicate with people/groups of varying ability, culture and age
- Understanding and experience of issues facing young people and deprived communities
- Follow and carry out set tasks/assignments and maintain established working practice
- Take initiative within pre-set parameters
- Adapt quickly and take responsibility when required to
- Work in a schools context
- Handle administrative skills (or be active in seeking support)
- A love for football
- Coach football (an FA qualification would be an asset)
- A passion to see young people mentored and see them learn to mentor others
This job description is not exhaustive; amendments and additions may be required in line with future organisational changes.
Genuine Occupational Requirement (GOR): This post has been identified as having a GOR to be filled by a Christian under the provisions of the Employment Equality (Religion and Belief) Regulations 2003 Section 7.2.
A DBS check at Enhanced level will be required if you are successful in your application
(more info available at www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check)
To apply, please send a completed Application Form to email@example.com