Head of Youth Work
What would I be doing?
You will be expected to take responsibility for overseeing all delivery and ensuring excellence across all Matrix youth projects as well as managing and training our delivery team and modelling excellent face-to-face youth work yourself. You will also be part of the Senior Management Team, and work to ensure that all we do nurtures, inspires, connects and empowers young people so they can make the most of their lives.
In the Autumn Term 2020 we expect to launch our new after-school Youth Cafe Drop-in, which this post holder will be expected to lead with the cross-church collaboration team, setting up and establishing it as a flagship project across the Borough.
What do we expect from you?
The role of Head of Youth Work is a new role that will enable Matrix to continue to grow and develop its youth work across Guildford Borough. You will be expected to take responsibility for developing, increasing the impact of and ensuring excellence across all Matrix youth projects. You will also be responsible for recruiting, training and developing a delivery team to work with and for young people, as well as modelling excellent face-to-face youth work yourself.
You will also be part of the Senior Management Team, taking responsibility for the youth delivery and the delivery team, ensuring that all we do nurtures, inspires, connects and empowers young people so they can make the most of their lives.
The post-holder will ideally be an experienced youth worker and excellent practitioner who is looking for a new challenge that utilises your skills of youth project delivery and people management in helping Matrix grow to the next level.
Project Supervision and Development
Matrix operate a variety of projects across schools and the community, meeting the needs of young people aged 10-18. The Head of Youth Work will be expected to:
- take responsibility for the effective delivery and outcomes of each project including, but not limited to: coordinating staff and volunteers, managing programs, equipment and ensuring policies and procedures are followed, ensuring each project is well planned and executed and meeting the needs of the young people it aims to serve
- work with the youth delivery team to ensure targets are reached
- work with the wider team and CEO to identify ongoing needs and develop new projects as required
- model excellent practice by doing some face-to-face youth work delivery across a variety of projects, in both school and the community
- contribute to fundraising and grant applications where required to ensure the continuation of projects
- innovate new or improve existing provision to fill identified gaps or needs, including designing, planning and promotion (within a specified budget)
- carry out research to ascertain the needs of young people in the area
In the Autumn Term 2020 we expect to launch our new after-school Youth Cafe Drop-in, the Head of Youth Work will be expected to lead the cross-church collaboration team to set this up and establish it as a flagship project for Matrix and the Borough, developing working partnerships with stakeholders such as police and children’s services.
Youth Team Management and Development
This post holder will be responsible for the development and management of the delivery team, including paid staff and volunteers. You will be expected to:
- Recruit, train, supervise and support the project delivery team (paid and volunteers) to enable the projects to run effectively
- Line manage youth workers and ensure interns and volunteers are line managed and supervised effectively
- Hold regular team meetings with project teams for debrief, planning and training
- Ensure that your team work to the Youth Work Standards
- Create and be accountable to an annual plan for each project
- Gain feedback from young people to improve projects and empower them to make a difference in the project and their community
- Follow the Matrix model to enable young people to grow
- Ensure that all attendees feel part of Matrix and the projects they attend
- Be responsible for the budget management of each project
- Provide / arrange cover when staff are absent
- Ensure your team engage in the community in which they work through networking or specific relationships
- Support Project Leads in the delivery, management and development of their projects
- Help deliver residentials
- You will also be expected to model excellent youth work to your team
Senior Management Team
This role carries a level of responsibility and you will be expected to:
- Meet regularly as part of the Senior Management Team, engaging in decision-making and innovation, in particular in the areas of: strategic planning, operations, human resources and impact measurement
- Work with the CEO to progress Matrix youth work methodology and theory of change, disseminate this to the team and monitor its impact
- Provide impact reports to the SMT and Board as required
- Write reports for grant funding for community projects
- Help shape and promote the culture of Matrix throughout the whole Matrix Family and and youth provision
- Ensure policies are in place and updated for all delivery
- Take responsibility for developing and monitoring the quality of the Youth Work across Matrix staff and volunteers
- Take on the role of Deputy DSL
- Represent Matrix as the Head of Youth Work
Matrix is a small, established, but fast evolving and growing charity and there is therefore an expectation on all staff to be proactive and a fully-invested team player, supporting others in their busier seasons and the charity as a whole across the year.
The team are practising Christians working from within the Christian ethos and praying together regularly as a team, expecting you to do the same.
We expect you to:
- Fit in with our core values, to be: positive, relational, innovative, collaborative and fun
- Be committed to and passionate about the mission to catalyse change in young people’s lives
- Be a pro-active member of the Matrix team and get involved in projects which benefit the mission of Matrix (e.g.: fundraising activities/events or prayer spaces)
- Take part in occasional team projects such as Ready 4 Action
- Work across agencies and Matrix teams
What do we offer you?
- 5 weeks paid holiday, plus bank holidays and the office shuts between Christmas and New Year
- A mentor from a local church (if required)
- Training that develops your skillbase (as needed)
- Regular line management and supervision
- Flexible working arrangements, where possible
- A nurturing and supportive team
Salary: £26,000 - £30,000 (depending on experience)
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an individual who would like to invest in an evolving charity and help move it into its next phase. You should have at least 5 years of youth work experience, including management of team and projects.
- A proven track record of at least 5 years youth work experience in a community context
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to relate easily to young people from a variety of backgrounds and develop positive relationships that enable change in their lives, setting appropriate boundaries
- An understanding of the issues young people face today
- Experience of managing and having fun in delivering youth projects
- Highly motivated and enjoy taking initiative
- Enjoy working in a flexible, growing, energetic team
- Experienced in managing teams (including volunteers) and able to mobilise and motivate them
- Agree with and able to support and work within the Christian ethos (this job has a “genuine occupational requirement” (GOR) for the post to be filled by a Christian)
- Able to work within the values of the Matrix, including taking a ‘can do’ approach to your work
- Able to move quickly between multiple work locations within and around Guildford
- Competent IT and administrative skills
- Experience of undertaking assemblies or other speaking engagements
- Can demonstrate your ability to bring ideas to the table and put them into action
- Experience of developing professional relationships with senior figures in schools, councils and other local organisations
- A relevant Professional qualification in youth work or equivalent specialism
- Project management expertise
- Track record in project initiation and development
- Experience of conducting basic research with young people
- Experience in working across schools and the community
- Knowledge of Guildford Borough and its young people and issues