Outreach Worker 'Hygiene for All’ Project
‘Hygiene for All’ Van Outreach Worker
Salary: £20,210 per annum, (pro-rata for part-time staff)
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week (including one evening outreach shift 7.30-9.30pm approx. per week as required)
Holiday Entitlement: 5 weeks per annum (pro-rata for part-time staff)
Location: You will normally be required to work from Antifreeze, 37 Portland Road, Hove, BN3 5DQ but sometimes you will need to work at other locations in order to meet the needs of the Project. You would need to remain flexible and regular visit other sites in Brighton and Hove.
Job Title: ‘Hygiene for All’ Van Outreach Worker
Reporting Relationship: To Antifreeze Manager
Job Summary: To work as part of the Antifreeze team identifying and providing individually tailored, life-saving support for those homeless, within the Christian ethos of Off The Fence. To run our ‘Hygiene for All’ initiative and develop and grow its volunteer team and to undertake a basic level of Support Work. To offer Christian spiritual support to clients and the team, drawing on the post holder’s Christian faith.
- To provide emotional, practical and Christian spiritual support to our clients individually or within a group setting.
- To develop the ‘Hygiene for All’ plan including building a team of volunteers and implementing weekly rotas where people rough sleeping will bring their clothes to the centre to be washed and we will provide a collection and delivery service to wash clothes for those in accommodation that have been rough sleeping previously.
- To drive and maintain the OTF vans, be responsible for parking (including obtaining parking permits if needed), ensuring the vans are booked into a garage ahead of time for their MOTs, annual services and other maintenance when needed.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the shower unit/s and laundry machines at our centre are maintained through booking in the appropriate support when needed and through yourself and volunteers delivering basic maintenance and thorough cleaning to these units after each use.
- To work as part of the Antifreeze team but with the emphasis on a hygiene role.
- To lead our House-reach initiative that will combine clothes pick -ups with a general House-reach welfare check and Support Work including offering clients prayer and Christian spiritual support where welcomed.
- To work alongside our partners and, where necessary, speak about the Project.
- You will be responsible for the upkeep, re-stocking and schedules of the hygiene project.
- Refer clients to agencies and to network with agencies
- Lead a regular evening outreach session on the streets of Brighton and Hove to provide food, drink, clothing and, where welcomed, prayer and Christian literature.
- Ensure clients are kept up-to-date with collection arrangements and that we are helping those most in need with a clear, consistent and unbiased criteria as per the Christian culture of OTF.
- To oversee all of our donations and to ensure the centre and vans are always well-stocked with clothing, hygiene and other needed supplies
- Liaise with our Health and Safety Manager to ensure we stay compliant with all HSE regulations.
- Promote the independence and self-worth of the service users.
- Contribute to different in-house training sessions as appropriate.
- Encourage service users to access the Antifreeze Centre.
- Encourage service users with health and hygiene.
- Take part and assist with duties assigned by Antifreeze manager.
- Regular brainstorming of new and improved ways of how the Hygiene for All initiative can be implemented in Brighton and Hove.
- Attend and participate in meetings run by Off the Fence, including monthly team meetings and prayer meetings.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. You will be expected to perform different tasks as needed by your role within the organisation and its overall business objectives.
- Formally agree with the Christian ethos of OTF and the statement of faith.
- Have good people skills (particularly one to one skills).
- Have some mechanical and DIY knowledge and to hold a valid and clean driver’s licence (be confident driving a larger van- currently a Vauxhall Vivaro).
- Be over the age of 25.
- Have strong written and communication skills.
- Be able to work in a team and independently.
- Be able to tell of and show the love of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Have a strong sense of calling to make a difference for people experiencing homelessness in Brighton and Hove.
- Be able to network with local agencies/services.
- Basic understanding of IT skills to set up a collection and delivery service that the volunteers can use.
- Previous experience and knowledge of working with people that are homeless.
- Good knowledge of Brighton and Hove.
- Good logistical skills.
- Strong teaching and coaching skills.
- The ability to teach, lead and grow a team.
Subject to Review
This job description is not intended to be restrictive and should be taken as the current representation of the nature of the duties involved in your job and consequently will be subject to review.
To apply for the role, please send a completed application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org