Capernwray Hall is an interdenominational international, Christian Bible School and Holiday Centre located near Carnforth in Lancashire.
About the role
We are looking for a full time, experienced and enthusiastic person to lead the Maintenance department at Capernwray. You will be responsible for a busy department involving a variety of tasks and activities, both indoors and outdoors, which will require high levels of organisational skills and good time management.
- To effectively and efficiently undertake & manage the maintenance of the property and immediate gardens and grounds, both in terms of reactive and planned maintenance;
- To supervise & direct the maintenance work required on the site, including organising the maintenance team & voluntary workers to provide adequate maintenance cover;
- In conjunction with the Finance & Facilities Manager, to plan and effect improvements to the facilities available to guests, students and staff;
- Overseeing the regular testing to ensure full compliance with Health and Safety and other mandatory requirements, e.g. emergency lighting, fire alarm testing, legionella testing and asbestos monitoring amongst others;
- Ensure health and safety standards are observed in all maintenance work and in the use of equipment;
- Oversee the management, scheduling and supervision of all relevant subcontractors, ensuing they comply with contractual commitments and operate within the charity’s safety policy;
- Coordinate the on-call rota to provide maintenance provision outside of normal working hours, including weekend cover;
- Prioritising maintenance workload to ensure compliance requirements, building improvements and general maintenance all progress;
- Reviewing current legislation, regulations and good working practices to ensure all maintenance & repair techniques are up to date;
- Producing new maintenance policies and procedures;
- Attending regular maintenance and health & safety meetings;
- Utilisation of the IT based safety management software system for monitoring compliance, testing and outstanding tasks;
- Willingness to attend training courses for furthering knowledge & expertise to better support the charity;
- Arrange the purchasing of maintenance related products in a timely manner within an agreed budget;
- Lead and participate in the development and mentoring of the maintenance team & voluntary workers.
The person appointed will be expected to have the key essential skills, knowledge and experience listed below. The items under the heading ‘desirable attributes’ will also be useful for the post holder. However, candidates who do not have these desirable attributes should not be deterred from submitting an application.
- An experienced manager, able to think strategically and deliver operationally.
- Highly organised, takes a systematic approach to work.
- Ability to identify priorities, especially where there are competing needs and expectations.
- Ability to manage a team effectively and allocate tasks accordingly.
- Sound operational knowledge of health & safety.
Knowledge and Experience:
- High level of experience / knowledge of engineering, building, joinery or plumbing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to act as the main point of contact on day to day maintenance.
- Adept at managing a diverse workload and able to maintain a strategic view of the work despite demanding day to day issues.
- Experience of an IT based safety management software system for testing & monitoring compliance.
- Experience in managing Legionella & Fire risk.
- Knowledge of Biomass systems.
- Knowledge of swimming pool management.
- Experience of working in the charity sector.
- Experience of working in Christian residential ministry.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
How to apply
If you have any queries regarding the role then please contact Michael Gregory, Finance and Facilities Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed application forms should be sent to Debbie Atkinson, Head of HR and Compliance, email@example.com
Or posted to: Debbie Atkinson, Capernwray Hall Carnforth LA6 1AG
Closing date: Monday 9th December 2019
For more information please visit our website.