Church Community Worker
Church Community worker - Canley Community Church
We are an open church of around 60 members with a reputation over many years for being friendly, and trying to make everyone feel welcome, whether you’re a visitor or you’ve come a hundred times before. We are committed to using the Bible to determine how we meet together, how we worship and what we do in the community. We are convinced that God is just as relevant to our world today as when the Bible was written, and we seek to share this with everyone.
We believe we have had an impact over the past 60 plus years in Canley, and we want to continue to be a significant influence for God in our local area and through our members and contacts. There are currently lots of groups that meet in the church building and our members are involved in many different community groups – and we want to continue to build on this work.
As part of our outreach strategy, we have been running a successful café in the church building for the last 8 years, for two days a week during term time. Other activities include a card club, toddler group, mid-week lunch for older people, an older people’s group and Bible Study groups.
Main purpose of the role
We are looking for someone who will help forge links with the community groups based in the Canley area as well as being able to lead Bible Studies, Alpha Groups and our popular toddler group. An important part of the role is to be present during café hours in order to make contact with those who attend, offer prayer and develop relationships. The successful candidate would liaise with our full time Pastoral Community Worker in working out specific duties.
- To be a contact for community groups and individuals during café hours providing spiritual support (such as prayer) and linking people to the wider church.
- To develop new effective forms of outreach into the local community.
- To lead weekly Bible Studies with mainly female participants
- To coordinate a team organising and running a weekly toddler group
- To help plan and lead Alpha groups as appropriate
- To support pastoral activities with mainly female participants
- To further links with the local community by taking part in local events such as the ‘Big Lunch’ and ‘pop up Café’.
- A committed Christian with a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This is a Genuine Occupational Requirement (GOR)
- Committed to be part of Canley Community Church and part of its vision to serve the community by sharing the love of Christ with them.
- Good Bible knowledge and an ability to share that knowledge well with others
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Show evidence of leadership and ability to work with a team of mainly volunteers.
- Maths, English and ICT at Level 2 or above
- Knowledge of food safety, health & hygiene
- Ability to help with catering in a church setting
- A basic counselling qualification
Terms and Conditions
Hours: 18 hours per week term time, dropping to 10 hours per week for a further 6 weeks although we would be flexible about the final contract
Reporting to: Leadership team of CCC
Salary: Up to £9,500 dependent on hours worked, qualifications and experience.
Holidays: should be taken during school holidays
Pension: We follow the requirements of a Workplace Pension Scheme.
References: Any job offer will be subject to 2 satisfactory references one of which should be from a leader of the applicant’s current church
Safeguarding: You would be expected to conform to the church safeguarding policy and undertake a DBS check as necessary.
Closing date for Applications: Friday 26th June 2020
Interviews will take place during July (using technology if needed). This role is expected to start in the Autumn of 2020 including an overlap of a few months with the current postholder.
Any enquiries please contact Claire Martin by telephone on 07745 681644
Applications to be sent to Doug Preston by email email@example.com or by post 59 Walsall Street, Canley, Coventry CV4 8EZ