Founded in 1971, Abernethy is a ministry that combines outdoor activity, residential experience and Christian team witness. Adventure is at the heart of Abernethy and we love seeing people gain confidence and grow through being in the outdoors. We run three Centres in Scotland where we warmly welcome thousands of guests each year.
The team at Abernethy are all Christians. We are passionate about the outdoors, community, hospitality and witness. We are motivated by our belief in a good and generous God who created an incredible natural world which, through its very existence, shouts His praise. We believe that every person is unique, valuable and deeply loved by the creator God.
Along with the entire outdoor activity sector, Abernethy experienced a challenging time during the pandemic but guests are beginning to return and we now have a wonderful opportunity to rebuild and refocus. This is an exciting time in Abernethy’s history as we embrace a new season, confident that God has a purpose for us, and with the vision and drive to pioneer new opportunities.
About the Role
Are you a great cook who would love to use your catering skills and experience at our Nethy Bridge Centre? Would you like to live and work in the heart of the stunning Cairngorms National Park?
We are looking for someone who can work with our Food Services Manager and the kitchen team to provide delicious and nutritious meals for both guests and staff. The food you prepare will play an essential part in helping us to create a hospitable and welcoming environment, and fulfil our vision to see lives transformed.
- You have a growing Christian faith and a willingness to be a positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
- You have a warm, friendly and collaborative approach to your work and the team
- You believe that being faithful to the gospel means sharing the good news in both word and deed
Gifts & Strengths
- You will be able to work with our Food Services Manager and Cooks to provide a high standard of catering for guests and staff
- You will be able to stay calm under pressure and work efficiently to ensure meals are served on time
- You will be motivated by our vision to see lives transformed, enthusiastic about your work and willing to go the extra mile when necessary
- Working in a kitchen requires a certain amount of physical endurance so you’ll need to be able to do the following: work standing up and inside for the whole shift; be able to lift, push, pull or carry up to 25kg and pull carts up to 25m; bend, kneel or be otherwise mobile as required
Experience & Qualities
- You will be able to help write menus, place and receive orders and rotate stock
- You will understand how to maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness and food hygiene
- You will be comfortable training other team members when necessary
- You will be able to do all the paperwork and record-keeping associated with food hygiene
We Would Also Love You to Have
- Worked in a kitchen or food services environment before
- A knowledge of the relevant Health and Safety regulations and COSHH
- Worked with a Christian organisation, charity or church before
What Can We Offer You?
- A monthly salary
- Accommodation in a shared house and full board (if required)
- 30 days paid annual leave (increases with length of service)
- Opportunities for personal development and training
- Use of Centre facilities and equipment
- Favourable rates for family on most Abernethy holidays and camps
- Living as part of a vibrant Christian community in a fabulous location with the Cairngorms, River Spey and Moray Coast all within easy reach
*For a full job description please download the Job Profile below.
How to Apply
Visit our website and complete the online application form: Welcome to Abernethy Outdoor Centres | HEAD Cook. For an informal chat about the role please contact Simon Smith, Operations Director on 01479 818004.
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, the successful applicant will be required to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Scheme and the appointment will be subject to a satisfactory PVG Scheme Disclosure.
Many thanks in advance for your prayerful consideration of this opportunity and for taking an interest in the life and ministry of Abernethy Trust.