Head of Finance
Are you passionate about using your skills and experience in financial leadership in an organisation that has a vision to see lives transformed? We are praying for someone to take up this key role at Abernethy, joining our Head Office team to oversee and develop our financial and business operations and help us flourish as a Christian residential adventure ministry.
Founded in 1971, Abernethy is a ministry that combines outdoor activity, residential experience and Christian team witness. Adventure is at the heart of Abernethy and we love seeing people gain confidence and grow through being in the outdoors. We run three Centres in Scotland where we warmly welcome thousands of guests each year.
The team at Abernethy are all Christians. We are passionate about the outdoors, community, hospitality and witness. We are motivated by our belief in a good and generous God who created an incredible natural world which, through its very existence, shouts His praise. We believe that every person is unique, valuable and deeply loved by the creator God.
Along with the entire outdoor activity sector, Abernethy experienced a challenging time during the pandemic but guests are beginning to return and we now have a wonderful opportunity to rebuild and refocus. This is an exciting time in Abernethy’s history as we embrace a new season, confident that God has a purpose for us, and with the vision and drive to pioneer new opportunities.
About the Role
The role of Head of Finance is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to join us as we write the next chapter in the Abernethy story.
Gifts & Strengths
- You will have an excellent understanding of accounting, business to business relationships and organisational development
- You will be able to present financial reports, results and forecasts to the Abernethy Leadership Team and advise on the implications
- You will assist the CEO and Centre Directors with project management, including building development projects and infrastructure improvements
- You will have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work closely with each Centre Director to ensure budgets are managed and good stewardship is exercised, supporting them and providing advice and guidance
- You will be a great communicator with leadership and team management experience
- You will play a part in shaping the direction of the Trust by being part of the Abernethy Leadership Team and working closely with and supporting the CEO
Experience & Qualities
- You will have a nationally recognised professional accountancy qualification
- You will have at least 6 years relevant experience in finance and operations management and management accounting
- You will have extensive experience with Xero and Excel
- You will have experience in, and an aptitude for, financial planning, analysis and control and experience of supporting Trustees with financial information
- You will have a proven track record in implementing change or development project management
We Would Also Love You to Have
- An understanding of charity accounting
- Previous experience of working with a church or Christian charity
- An interest in outdoor adventure
What Can We Offer You?
- A monthly salary (plus allowances as required)
- The possibility of part-time or flexible working (we would require you to work a minimum of 30 hours which would include spending one day per week at our Trust Office in Nethy Bridge)
- Accommodation (if required)
- 30 days paid annual leave (pro rata, increases with length of service)
- Use of Centre facilities and equipment
- Favourable rates for family on most Abernethy holidays and camps
How to Apply
Your application should comprise:
- A covering note, of not more than two pages, outlining your motivation and relevant experience for the role
- Christian faith is an Occupational Requirement for this role
- The covering letter should also include the names of three referees. Please note these referees will not be contacted without your prior agreement
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing positions, responsibilities held and relevant achievements
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, the successful applicant will be required to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Scheme and the appointment will be subject to a satisfactory PVG Scheme Disclosure.
Many thanks in advance for your prayerful consideration of this leadership opportunity and for taking an interest in the life and ministry of Abernethy Trust.