Cook/Assistant Cook - Scottish Christian adventure centre
Abernethy's vision is to provide exceptional outdoor adventure experiences where our guests can discover more about themselves, others and God. This role is essential to our ministry as our kitchen team are crucial for providing quality residential experiences for our guests. We are looking for a hands-on team player who has a good level of initiative. First and foremost, we are looking for people who want to serve God in this kind of outreach, so your Christian Faith will be evident in your life.
You might feel that you are interested in this vacancy but don't yet possess the relevant training, in this instance we would be willing to consider appointing a Trainee Cook. A key part of this job is shift work and the successful applicant will have the stamina and motivation to work irregular hours as part of an enthusiastic team.
The key roles of a Cook or Assistant Cook at Abernethy:
- To create high quality nutritionally balanced meals for our residential groups and team members
- To supervise, train and work with the team of Gap Years, ensuring high standards of customer service for up to 100 guests at the centre on a daily basis
- To ensure that hygienic practices are maintained according to our policies
- To carry out administrative tasks in the office as required
- Active involvement with ‘Explore' evening Christian programme
- Involvement with the local church
In an ideal world, we would be keen for the following criteria to be met by the successful candidate:
- An aptitude for cooking and previous relevant work experience and training.
- An interest in good, healthy, nutritious food
- A flexible 'can-do' approach and ability to deliver consistent excellence
- Excellent customer service skills
- Food Hygiene certificate
- Experience and evidence of working as part of a team
- Positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
Abernethy Barcaple is near Castle Douglas and Kirkcudbright in the rolling Galloway hills and yet only 10 minutes from the Solway Firth. Four of the 7stanes mountain bike trail centres are convenient to the centre.
Discover more about our roles here
Download our application form below
Contact Operations Director, Andy Wade, informally for more information by calling 01557 820261
Complete the online enquiry form and we will be in touch
e-mail our Recruitment Administrator, Steph Walling or call her on 01479 818001
Dumfries and Galloway